North Sails LOFT NEWS
WANT TO JOIN OUR CREW?
North Sails Steelepointe, Bridgeport, CT is Hiring
North Sails is the world’s leading sailmaker, with 150 locations worldwide serving sailors on every type of boat. North Sails Steelepointe, in Bridgeport, CT, is looking for candidates to fulfill the role of Sailmaker to add to our team. This position is a vital part of North Sails and focuses on both hands-on sailmaking and customer interaction and support. Working within the service department will provide a unique opportunity for an aspiring sailmaker to build a foundational understanding of the basic concepts and skills of sailmaking.
The Service Sailmaker works as part of the sales and service team to repair, clean, troubleshoot, deliver and install sails to ensure customer needs are met. The candidate will utilize specialized sewing machines and other equipment in the repair and service process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect and identify sail to determine customer needs for the sail repair or service
- Complete a written estimate using North Sails standards for pricing and rates
- Cut, fabricate and/or install materials and parts to meet customer needs
- Follows standards for service and repair as described in the North Sails Blue Book and other documented or known practices
- Use judgment and experience to ensure all parts of the sail meet customer specifications.
- Use scissors, power cutters, dies, etc. to cut materials parts and pieces
- Use and maintain industrial sewing machines, pods and tracker systems to sew various parts of the sail
- Complete hand stitching where needed
- Identify and report discrepancies in the sail from specifications or where no specification is identified and report that information to appropriate individuals for clear directions
- Pick up and deliver sails
- Install sails on boats
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Proficient with hand tools
- Working knowledge of the metric system
- Capable of crawling on knees for extended periods of time
- Able to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Good hand eye coordination and an eye for detail
- Ability to read various measuring devices and interpret specifications
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be approved to drive through North Sails’ insurance
- North Sails proudly offers benefits for full-time employees, including Health and Dental coverage, 401K plan, paid holidays, and earned paid time off.
- Full time: Monday– Friday, 8 hour day shift
No experience is required to apply and apprentice sailmaker training is offered for any qualified applicants. Candidates familiar with the sailing industry and terminology are strongly encouraged to apply. As long as the candidate is willing to learn and work hard, they will be given the opportunity to build a lifelong and fulfilling career in the Sailmaking industry.
SUBMIT RESUME/COVER LETTER HERE