North Sails LOFT NEWS
WANT TO JOIN OUR CREW?
North Sails in Gosport, UK is Hiring
North Sails is a unique sailmaker, built on a champion spirit. Founded in 1957 by Lowell North who applied an engineer’s logic to a traditional craft, North Sails transformed the industry and has become the world leader in sailmaking technology. North Sails offers a wide range of performance 3D and paneled sails for cruising sailors and is the world’s leading sailmaker for one-design classes with more National, World and Olympic Class victories than all other sailmakers combined. North Sails is the sailmaker of choice on the majority of America’s Cup, Grand Prix, ocean race boats and Superyachts.
North Sails looking to fill the role of a Sailmaker at our Gosport, UK location. The Sailmaker works as part of the sales and service team to repair, clean, troubleshoot, deliver and install sails to ensure customer needs are met. This position is part of the sail care service team utilizing specialized sewing machines, plotters and other equipment in the repair and service process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect and identify sail to determine customer needs for the sail repair or service.
- Complete a written estimate using North Sails standards for pricing and rates.
- Cut, fabricate and/or install materials and parts to meet customer needs.
- Follows standards for service and repair as described in the North Sails Blue Book and other documented or known practices.
- Use judgment and experience to ensure all parts of the sail meet customer specifications.
- Use scissors, power cutters, dies, etc. to cut materials parts and pieces.
- Complete hand stitching where needed.
- Identify and report discrepancies in the sail from specifications or where no specification is identified and report that information to appropriate individual for clear directions.
- Pick up and deliver sails.
- Install sails on boats.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Regular and predictable physical presence and attendance at the worksite is required to interact with management and team members.
- Perform related duties or responsibilities, as assigned or requested.
- Sailmaking experience required
- Industrial sewing experience required
- Proficient with hand tools
- Working knowledge of the metric system
- Capable of crawling on knees for extended periods of time
- Able to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Good hand eye coordination and an eye for detail
- Ability to read various measuring devices and interpret specifications
- Full time