North Sails NEWS
North Sails 3Di ENDURANCE powers Coville to another offshore milestone
Thomas Coville has broken the 24 hour solo distance record by sailing 714 nautical miles in a single day. The record was broken at roughly 2000 UTC on June 8th after departing New York City on a record attempt onboard the 100’ trimaran Sodebo Ultim. Coville was racing with one reef in Sodebo’s North Sails 3Di ENDURANCE mainsail and a 3Di RAW J1 when he set the record, averaging just under 30 knots.
This whopping 714nm beats Armel Lecleach’s 2014 record on Banque Populaire VII (now IDEC Sport) of 682 miles in 24 hours. Coville’s record marks the first time a single-handed sailor has broken the 700 mile mark in 24 hours. The record was announced this morning by Team Sodebo, and must still be ratified by the World Sailing Speed Record Council.
- North Sails is proud to supply Sodebo Ultim with a full inventory of offshore sails including North Sails 3Di ENDURANCETM and 3Di RAWTM:
- North Sails 3Di ENDURANCE Mainsail (built in 2014)
- North Sails RAW J1
- North Sails Endurance J2
- North Sails Endurance J3
- North Sails Panel Laminate (NPL) J0
North Sails 3Di composite sailmaking technology is proprietary and exclusive to North. Launched in 2010, the 3Di product has now sailed around the world multiple times on varied platforms and applications. In addition, 3Di has powered the following sailing speed or distance records:
- Sodebo Ultim: 24 hour solo distance record with Thomas Coville | 714 nautical miles
- Spindrift 2: Ushant to the Equator | 4 days 21 hours 29 minutes
- Spindrift 2: Ushant to the South of Tasmania, the entrance to the Pacific | 20 days 04 hours 37 minutes
- IDEC Sport: Crossing the Indian Ocean
- Spindrift 2: Ushant-Cape Horn | 30 days 04 hours 07 minutes
- Dona Bertarelli: Fastest circumnavigation by a female sailor | 47 days 10 hours 59 minutes
- Comanche: 24 hour monohull distance record (fully crewed) | 618 nautical miles
- Phaedo 3: Bermuda to Plymouth | 2870 nautical miles
- Phaedo 3: Rolex Fastnet Race original course | 595 nautical miles
- IMOCA Macif: 24 hour solo distance record on a monohull with Francois Gabart | @550 miles
“I am sat(sic) at the nav table on Sodebo and as I looked up out of my window at my mainsail I was thinking: this is the most beautiful mainsail I have ever had.” – Thomas Coville describes his 3Di Mainsail just before finishing the 2015 Transat Jacques Vabre
We congratulate Coville on his third time setting the 24 hour solo distance record, this time surpassing his previous record by nearly 100 nautical miles!